Ever had a lone eggplant left in your fridge and not known what to do with it??
Check out this recipe – Bangin’ Baingan (Eggplant) Fries – from our friend TAPAS-tree (http://tapastree.tumblr.com/ – a fun and offbeat food blog based in DC).
What you need:
- 1 1-lb eggplant, cut lengthwise into 0.5” strips and then into 0.5” inch strips.
- Vegetable oil, for frying (You can also use a really light olive oil).
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Garlic powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 2 tbsp
- Sea salt – to taste and to sprinkle
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp
What you do:
- Fill a large bowl half-full with ice. Add the eggplant strips and then cover with water.
- Place a plate on top of the bowl to weigh the eggplants down. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Pour oil into a large deep pot until it is 2” deep and heat on medium-high (You can use a deep-fry thermometer to heat until it is 325°-350°F, or you can do what I do and dip the end of a wooden spoon in when you think the oil is ready. If little bubbles form then you are good to go).
- Meanwhile, mix the rice flour, garam masala, 1 tsp sea salt, and garlic powder in a shallow dish.
- Drain the eggplant, shake off loose water and toss them in the flour mixture.
- Fry in small batches until golden brown (usually 4-5 minutes).
- Remember to allow the oil to re-heat in between batches or you will end up with oil-soaked eggplants.
- Transfer to a plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and some lemon juice.
It’s so simple and a healthy alternative to traditional fries! 🙂 🙂