Gregoire Restaurant – 2109 Cedar Street, Berkeley. http://www.gregoirerestaurant.com/
Living in SF for 3 months necessitates a day trip to Berkeley at least once. So we headed out there and walked over to the well known area known as the “Gourmet Ghetto“. To be honest, I had heard a lot about Cheeseboard Pizza so was aiming for that, only to be disappointed to find it closed on Sundays. So a friend who is a local promptly suggested Gregoire’s – a casual place round the corner that serves french food and gourmet sandwiches. SOLD.
Self-proclaimed as the ‘Bay Area’s finest take-out,’ Gregoire’s is a charming little hole-in-the-wall type eatery with plenty of seating outside. Given we were a large group, we promptly occupied two large tables just outside the entrance, before we proceeded to order. Note, the menu constantly changes.
What we ate:
- Crispy potato puffs ($4.50): a Gregoire signature that seems to have been a constant on the menu over the years, these were just delicious – crispy on the outside and oh so soft on the inside. The dipping sauce was really yummy too🙂
- Raclette cheese potato gratin w/ pickled shallots ($4.50): another great side dish, perfect to share. I particularly liked the pickled shallots which gave the potatoes a really tangy taste.
- Garlic scallop potatoes ($4.50): ditto – a very heavy dish, with a great combination of the garlic with the potatoes.
- Scallop & lime ceviche w/ taro chips & avocado on Dutch crunch ($8.75): mmmmm so good! The ceviche was really fresh, making the sandwich feel really light – loved the tangy taste.
- Pulled pork w/ spicy verde salsa & queso fresco on ciabatta ($8.50): another really yummy sandwich – the pork was cooked perfectly and balanced really well with the spiciness of the salsa. My only complaint would be that the ciabatta was not the best choice of bread with this as it was slightly hard, therefore slightly detracting from the overall dish.
- Grilled lamb patty w/ aioli & tapenade on pantofolina ($9.00): SO GOOD. The lamb was really tender and I really liked the accompanying pantofolina – made the sandwich feel really light.
the verdict: 9/10 – extremely tasty gourmet sandwiches and french fare at very affordable prices and in a casual setting.
don’t forget to order: crispy potato puffs (a signature here) and the lamb sandwich
to try next time: the dinner menu🙂